ANXIETY Self-care: Making Time for You! Part One

It is so easy to forget about looking after yourself when you are so busy looking after others. Mixed with working and studying it can be a challenge to take time out and give yourself some self-care and TLC. I have put together this blog post to give you some ideas of how you can relax and unwind to give yourself the treatment which you totally deserve. Some of these ideas require little effort but can instantly change your mood and bring happiness to your day. This is mostly aimed at those suffering with anxiety and depression but I believe that EVERYONE should make time for themselves. Enjoy the read and I hope you find this blog post interesting. . .

1. Yoga or meditation

This has been one of the best things ever for me! I started yoga in March around about the time my anxiety and depression got really bad again. At this point I had also started to see a counsellor and she recommended yoga and meditation to me. There are lots of groups and classes you can join although they may require a small fee – however it is a great way to connect with others, make new friends and get out of the house. For me personally I prefer to practise yoga and meditation at home in the comfort of my own living space. YouTube and Pinterest are my life-savers when it comes to yoga and meditation. There are so many videos for beginners to follow on YouTube and if you have a smart TV then you can just play the videos straight from your phone to the big screen. Pinterest is also awesome as there are many images and step by step yoga positions for beginners to follow. It can take a while to get into yoga and meditation but I highly recommend them. For me I usually do yoga before I go to bed and it really does help to relax the mind and body giving you a great night’s sleep. 


2. Go for a walk

This is one of the easiest things you can do to escape and give your mind a rest. Just a short walk around the block is usually enough for me or even a quick walk around the local shops. Being out of the house or away from a stressful situation really helps although at times it can be difficult to bring myself to leave the house. However you should try and push yourself, ask a friend to go with you! You don’t even have to talk if you are not up to it but by having someone with you it makes you feel less lonely and helps you to realise that you are not alone. Research shows that exercise can reduce anxiety and depression to improve mood so why not start with short walks and gradually build these up into short jogs/ runs.


3. Take a nap

Now, this can be a tricky one as too much sleep can be bad when you are depressed. I know I sometimes go through phases of sleeping way too much when I am depressed so be careful with this one. Sometimes after a long day all you want is a short nap, so I don’t see the harm in this if you keep the nap short – maybe 15 minutes. After a nap I usually feel refreshed and ready to get going, however I am careful not to nap too often or for too long! So go ahead and enjoy your much needed nap – just keep it short.


4. Read a book

Reading is such an amazing escapism for me. It instantly transports you to another world and takes you away from the hectic environment you may be in. The next time you need to relax and stay calm then try and pick up a book. If you really aren’t the type to read often they why not read a magazine instead? Reading allows you to connect with others such as the characters in the book and is a great way to give yourself something to basically look forward to. If you pick a book and become hooked on it then you will be eager to carry on reading, therefore you have something to look forward to in your spare time. For me I love Harry Potter – do not judge me. I also love books written by Paige Toon as they are usually funny and put me in a good mood. You could even look at visiting your local library to pick up some new books. Which books do you like to read?


5. Take a bubble bath

This is one of my favourite things to do when I want some ‘me-time’. I love bath bombs and fizzers so I keep a stash of them in a box which comes out when I need TLC. I love buying my bath bombs from Bomb Cosmetics as the prices are great and the range of products is fantastic (especially the Christmas range). A bubble bath always relaxes me and soothes my muscles which usually ache and are stiff when I am stressed. I like to take long baths; I mean what is the point of a 20 minute bath!? Be a King or Queen for a day and stay in the bath for however long you want! Also light some candles and dim the lights to create an even more relaxing atmosphere.


I hope you try these tips and find them useful, remember this is only part one of ‘ANXIETY Self-care: Making Time for You!’. Part two will also be up this week so be sure to keep an eye out for that. Anxiety and depression is a difficult time and often it feels like there is nothing we can do to help ourselves but just by starting with these small actions you can make a big difference to your mood and daily routine. As always comment, subscribe, follow if you would like to. Comment below if you have any tips you would like to share with everyone. Connect with me on Twitter @Ms_Trustworthy if would like to. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jo Malone - The English Oak: Fragrance Review

Guerlain Kiss Kiss Products

MUOTD - Urban Decay Heat: My Makeup Look